[Bf-committers] Coding (was Dithering)

Alexander Ewering blender at instinctive.de
Tue Nov 2 11:32:49 CET 2004

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004, john tuffen wrote:

> Is it just me that finds some of this language discussion worrying?

No, it's not just you, although it's probably not a lot of people, either. :)

> I mean, it's great that contributions are coming in from all over, but ranges of
> basic types (and where to declare variables in a C program) shouldn't be issues
> at all should they? If Blender coding is specified as C (ANSI or whatever),
> then I wouold expect any contributors to know how to write C !
>
> Ok, it probably *is* just me :)

Read my previous mails, it has me a bit worried, too. Well, as long as all
commits and patches get reviewed by someone who actually knows C (as it
is being done now), it should be no serious problem.

BTW: This is not at all meant as an offense to contributors. I personally
just think that Blender (one of the most complex open-source applications
in existance) is not a good testbed for first steps in C.

This is *especially* true for C, as it works very close to the machine,
and messing with pointers can cause all sorts of problems *outside* your
code that are completely unpredictable and very hard to find.

I am not in the position to comment about this anyway, this is just
my personal opinion.

I welcome all contributions, of course :)