[Bf-committers] Material IPO's and Dupliframes

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Mon Nov 1 12:28:48 CET 2004

Hi,

To end all confusement;

The duplicator code (dupli-frames and dupi-verts) constructs a temporal
list of Objects which is only being drawn or used to create more
render-faces, and then freed immediate after. These duplicators don't
really 'exist' at all, just generate more data for drawing or
rendering.

The Ipos for Objects themselves *are* evaluated then, both for
dupliframes and dupliverts (particles only though). Check release logs
too. (If it doesn't work, its a bug!).

Ipos for Mesh Keys, Material/Textures, or deformation (Armatures) isn't
evaluated.
Giving each Object its own (animated) Material block would effectively
mean creating permanant copies of the full tree, since
Materials/Textures have to be resident in memory during render. However
nice that feature would be, it's not within the scope of what was
intended to work. :)

-Ton-