[Bf-committers] Re: Automated test harness

Sun, 30 May 2004 12:55:56 +0200

Hi,

What you propose can work yes, in an ideal situation. There are quite
some drawbacks that we suffer from however:

- Blenders event system is primitive and suffers from old IrisGL and
Iris window manager conventions - on top of that a port to Glut
happened, and added to that port to Ghost confused it even more. It was
not at all designed for python hooks, usues sub-looping a lot and polls
all the time.

- Blender's GUI is very flexible, and opens in any screen resolution
and color depth, and allows users to tweak UI conventions as well.
Further it depends on OpenGL redraws, which (can) give different
results or timings on different OS's. Nailing down these variables to a
single 100% reliable testing situation isn't easy.

- And... I realize in a more professional environment, each new feature
in code should be accomplished with a test (for others) to verify the
the functionality. I know we should strive for more professional
development too, but the test-file convention as you describe won't
likely be followed easily.

I'm not blocking improvements, but try to sketch the picture, and hope
we can find a smooth roadmap to better code and testing. What about
this:

- Currently, more important changes in code result already in a page in
CMS in the 'current projects' section of blender3d.org -> InfoCenter ->
Development. This is something we can't encourage too often for
everyone to do.

- As part of the testing project, we already discussed having better
regression suites. I think we can require that developers who provide
new functionality, not only give a description of it (for release logs
and website) but also publish the .blend file(s) they used for testing
it themselves. This can be collected as a special download in the weeks
before release.

- For the time being, having a very well communicated and scheduled
releasing schedule, we can achieve already quite some improvements.
Depending on our masses of users isn't a weak point, I think we can use
that much better still. This could be a good target for the next few
releases to implement and get used to.

- Next to that, we could look at blender's internal event system, and
devise something that gives better functionality in general. For python
hooks, for user-definable hotkeys, for macros, for undo's, for
centralized drawing purposes, and for testing purposes. Such a redesign
is complex, and goes very deep into the core of how Blender functions.
Not something to expect too soon, and also not something I want to rush
into just for the sake of... :)

-Ton-