[Bf-committers] using checksum instead of bundling images for regression tests

Sun, 23 May 2004 12:40:48 +0200

Hi,

For as long the render code is being reorganized and improved, as the =20=

past 2 releases did, there's not much use in comparing pictures binary. =20=

Then there's the fact random jittering and sampling has been introduced =20=

for shadows and AO.

Even with an automatic check, it will still need a trained eye to =20
detect which changes are acceptable (improvements, or due to noise) and =20=

what changes are bugs or need further investigation. I prefer testing =20=

by intelligent humans who know what to look for, instead of devising =20
tests that can be reliably executed by 'monkeys'. :)

So if we make a simple set of testing files, with for each test =20
emphasis on a single rendering feature (or a certain combination), we =20=

should be able to find most of the problems just with a quick glance.

However, occasionally I enforce loading a 'background picture' in the =20=

spare render buffer (Jkey) to have a comparision, using Jkey to flip. =20=

It could be a useful feature to make that easier (like a 'copy actvive =20=

image in Image-Window to render buffer' command). If needed, even a =20
'diff' can be calculated then.

-Ton-