[Bf-committers] Thoughts on transform code rewrite - attention Theeth

Thu, 20 May 2004 11:43:57 +0200

Hi,

Just separating the transform in a per-mode or per-object type won't
help really... too much code then needs to be maintained double.
It is also important to at least try to provide the most uniform
possible access to each transform mode, also from user point of view.
There's a lot of overlap in code, and only few exceptions. Like for
bones, manipulating skeletons efficiently could be just a separate
piece of code.

Another aspect is for example extrusion of faces, which should be
possible based on direction of normals of the faces. And don't forget
Python hooks!

The function pointer idea could assist yes in helping design of clearly
separated and small functions to do the transform, but I still miss the
big picture and a clear set of functional targets what to achieve. A
reconstruction of code should at least give same performance and
functionality, and open up easier access to improve and add
functionality.

I've also written a short summary of what I expect from it... there's a
*lot* of work todo here, but we shouldn't be afraid of targeting at
something thats truely an improvement.

Below copied my version of what we could do:

---------------
(reaction to Theeths transform proposal, mail from March 11)

I would like to see added some way to have Python playing with it. And
of course, enabling the much wanted 'transform 3d widget'
(manipulators).
That would mean: the system has to become event based, and not with a
sub-loop anymore.

 From event based perspective it could be like:
(note; constraint here means user input like X-axis constraint)

Start Transformer engine
|- Parsing the mode
|- Initialising Trans_Constraint with mode arguments (if needed)
|- Running all the pre-transform code (trans init, centre, ...)

|- maybe: some callback to verify if data operated on is still valid
|-
|- end with: setting up some 'transform handler' which can be called
from event loops

Handle Transformer
|- mouse input
|- keyboard input
|- constraint
|- etc

Close Transformer
|- after trans code

None of these three chunks will have subloops. The old 'transform()'
function then can just still have a subloop calling the 'handler', but
python and a 3D widget then can use it as event based system.

To look at is:
- where does 'transformer' data reside, in a Blender SpaceWindow, in a
scene?
- what if 2 transformers operate simulteneously (could work!)

And also... the methods how IpoKey currently works with it is very
complex...

-Ton-