[Bf-committers] Remappable hotkeys/custom keybindings

Sat, 15 May 2004 13:43:33 +0200

Hi,

Maybe not fair to nitpick details, but the examples below don't reflect
Blender's internal workings. Classifying hotkeys and mouse events will
have to be based on:

- the global list (works everywhere)
- per window-type
- modal sensitive (editmode, etc)
- context sensitive (selection)
- temporal mode sensitive (during grab, menus, etc)

And there's not something like an 'editmode zoom'...

Mapping out the total of key and mouse events, and restructuring it
into a coherent proposal is always welcome. Based on that analysis,
improvements can result in:

- more consistancy in all of Blender
- guidelines for how to code or assign events

The issue whether or not (and how) to have user-defined settings for
hotkeys then can be evaluated. There are many ways to look at the
issue, where not all approaches can work together well. For example:

- we need to address the fact there's more functionality in Blender
than can be accessed with basic hotkeys.
- making things user-definable shouldn't be an excuse for bad design
- designing a hotkey/mouse system could be targeted to find the most
efficient way to work with Blender
- so is allowing someone to mimic 3ds or maya a real requirement?

-Ton-