[Bf-committers] Re: [Bf-blender-cvs] CVS commit: blender/release/text blender.html

Willian Padovani Germano bf-committers@blender.org
Fri, 14 May 2004 00:59:30 -0300

Hi Theeth,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Martin Poirier" <theeth@yahoo.com>
To: <bf-committers@blender.org>
Sent: Thursday, May 13, 2004 12:05 PM
Subject: [Bf-committers] Re: [Bf-blender-cvs] CVS commit: blender/release/text
blender.html

> I thought the Python system variable was called
> PYTHONPATH?
>
> Did they change that while I wasn't looking? :P
>
> Martin

Python uses many ways to try to find where its standard and system-specific libs
are installed.  PYTHONPATH is one way, but setting PYTHON to the python binary
also works.  For example (*nix): if it is /usr/bin/python, the interpreter will
look for libs in ../lib/ : /usr/lib/python<version>.  It's simpler to set a
single path than a list and works fine for both standard installations and user
compiled/installed python afaik.

Anyway, the interpreter is smart enough now to not even need this unless the
dirs are in some weird place.  But it's not a bad idea to explain about
PYTHONPATH in the readme as yet another method if the simpler one fails.

--
Willian, wgermano@ig.com.br