[Bf-committers] Sum up the long outside viewers post

bf-committers@blender.org bf-committers@blender.org
Thu, 13 May 2004 09:31:13 -0500

Since everyone else has jumped on the UI stuff I just want to shift
the focus for a second. Blender's codebase is "scary" to a new
blender coder. If you like me you can just dive in and see what
happens but it takes months sometimes to actually be productive in
it.

1.Source Documentation does need some serious attention. And before
you say "so do something about it". I am. I'm working on mapping out
the Blender source code's function call lists. But I'm still new to
the codebase so its going to take a while. I have a CMS account now
and under Zap's Playground you will start to see the beginnings of my
Code Documentation. Please feel free to jump in and make corrections
or add to it any time you want. Treat it like a Wiki I won't mind.
Maybe we can get some coherent documentation to lower the bar of
entry to coders.

2. The Codebase is really fragmented. Things like transform() which
is close to 2000 lines long are just a little insane. This is of
course all changing thanks in no small part to Blender going open
source. Untill the change is close to finished though you will not be
attracting as much developer attention as say K3D would. Even a more
obviouse Roadmap to changing to a more structured less haphazard
hacked source would attract people as they see places they can fit
into.