[Bf-committers] Sum up the long outside viewers post

trip bf-committers@blender.org
Wed, 12 May 2004 19:07:27 -0400

--Apple-Mail-1-869349099
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed

I posted the summary of the Cgtalk.com post

These groups of text were from the Cgtalk.com message. It ran 6 pages
long till it was locked.
The summary here does not do it justice, and you should see for
yourself what was said.
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=139661

But my view from it was that they just don't get the interface at all.
And it scares a bunch of new coders away. Maybe I am wrong. But there
should be some way to attract more coders into the fray.

My favorite quotes are :

" Imho, the problem with Blender is that it don't exel in any
particular area..  Yes it can do alot, but why would someone use-it if
they already have something else?  Plus some design decisions are
..well..  made by developers not indutry professionals, for instance
chossing to integrate Yafray instead of some renderman compliant
renderer shows they look more for flashy new stuff open source related
instead of production capable technology "

" It would be cheaper for a company to get Maya or XSI than hire on
coders to bring a mid level software app like Max or Lightwave up to
those levels of high-end 3d production.  I hope Maya can keep their
level of quality after all of its corporate issues are settled.  As I
grow my little operation I plan to use one of these apps in my own
productions "

" Im all for blender as an open source app, but it suffers from the
same problem as every other open source tool Ive ever used.  Its
written by nerds, for nerds.  The only exception Ive ever come across
is the Firefox beta "

The following long list of quotes is a somewhat cleaned up automatic
summary via software, as reading them all again just takes to long.

This Message is not propaganda, it is just a view on what the outside
world thinks about Blender, and it leads me to believe if Blender were
more user friendly then it might have a few more coders to edit some
code.

I like the interface as it is, but would love it more if a custom
palette could be created on the fly like some other programs. It would
lead to a faster work flow, and a launching pad for newbies to learn
from.

Messages follow: at .org as the thing is HUGE !
http://www.blender.org/modules.php?
op=modload&name=phpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=21625#21625

fun ^v^
--Apple-Mail-1-869349099

[...]

</x-tad-smaller></fontfamily>http://www.blender.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=21625#21625

fun ^v^