[Bf-committers] Ghostlike datablocks

William Reynish bf-committers@blender.org
Tue, 11 May 2004 00:15:27 +0200 (CEST)

How about a feature to let you delete datablocks from
the Oops? I have had the need to delete image files
from my scene without being able to find the object
that had it assigned through the UV editor (my game
envirenment was huge). Being able to simply click on a
datablock and delete it would make me a very happy
guy.

Why must it be so hard to delete things? ;)

-William

>From: Meino Christian Cramer <Meino.Cramer@gmx.de>
>Subject: Re: [Bf-committers] Ghostlike datablocks

>From: Ton Roosendaal <ton@blender.org>
>Subject: Re: [Bf-committers] Ghostlike datablocks
>Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 13:47:09 +0200

>Hi Ton, hi Jeremy,

> I tried the

kill-the-SCENE-save-delete-all-reload-save-delete->all-quit-ls-l-cycle
> ;) and there are still data in the oops window,
>which is not
> reachable anymore. I switched on ALL options of the
>OOPS window to see
> al possible data and found orphaned (is this the
>right word?) data.
> No link, no background color but still occupying
>space.
>
> There were data lost during the mega cycle (see
>above :)...but not
> all was lost, which isn't used anymore.
>
> If this behaviour including the mega cycle trick is
>not s bug I would
> say it is at least a vvery hackish feature of
>blender not being very
> -hrrrmmm- intuitive in use for the average >user...
:O)

> Is it possible to remove such kinda "memory leaks" ?
>
> Keep hacking!
> Meino
>
> PS: If one wants the file....
> PPS: Now I know I need to kill the script file
>before mailing, Ton! ;)
>

>> Hi,
>
> No (Jeremy) it doesn't work that way.
>
> Blender hardly frees data when "delete", instead it
unlinks data. All
> data that has links then still is written in a
Blender file.

> Sometimes, such links still exist (can be a tree
with many brances).
> The unlink options in Blender don't fully check
entire trees, instead
> it reconstructs trees on a file read.
> The way to get rid of these Meshes is just by 2
save/load cycles. Not
> with Blender quitting inbetween!
>
> (In your case, when you delete a Scene for example,
all Objects being
> used by the scene get one 'user reference' less. But
the data linked
> Objects itself remains.)
>
> -Ton-
>

> On Sunday, May 9, 2004, at 20:55 Europe/Amsterdam,
> jeremy@marzhillstudios.com wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Being one of those who pokes around the oops code.
You can probably
> > select the meshes there and then delete them in
the 3d view. What's
> > selected in Oops should be selected in 3d view. I
don't know for
sure

wrote:

> >> Hi,
> >>
> >>  I've got a problem and found no way to solve it
so it may be a
bug.

> >>  I had a *.blend file with one SCENE.
> >>
> >>  Then I added (SHIFT F1) a second scene from
another file.

> >>  Then I deleted this scene (it was the wrong
one).

> >>  Now I have tons of "wild" meshes with nothing is
linked to. They
only
> >>  increase the size of the file.
> >>
> >>  A save-quit-restart-reload cycle does not help.
> >>
> >>  In the OOPS window those meshes (scene
datablocks) are drawn with
> >>  background color of the OOPS window (or one
could say "without"
any
> >>  extra background color). All "real" meshes do
have a background
> >>  color.
> >>
> >>  Nor more used materials get kicked out of the
file after a
> >>  save-reload. This seems not to be true for mesh
datablocks.

> >>  I found no way to delete them neither by
experimenting nor by

Yahoo! Mail (http://dk.mail.yahoo.com) - Gratis: 6 MB lagerplads, spamfilter og virusscan