[Bf-committers] Ghostlike datablocks

Juan J. Pena M. bf-committers@blender.org
Mon, 10 May 2004 08:15:47 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ton Roosendaal" <ton@blender.org>
To: <bf-committers@blender.org>
Sent: Monday, May 10, 2004 7:47 AM
Subject: Re: [Bf-committers] Ghostlike datablocks

> Hi,
>
> No (Jeremy) it doesn't work that way.
>
> Blender hardly frees data when "delete", instead it unlinks data. All
> data that has links then still is written in a Blender file.
>
> Sometimes, such links still exist (can be a tree with many brances).
> The unlink options in Blender don't fully check entire trees, instead
> it reconstructs trees on a file read.
> The way to get rid of these Meshes is just by 2 save/load cycles. Not
> with Blender quitting inbetween!
>
> (In your case, when you delete a Scene for example, all Objects being
> used by the scene get one 'user reference' less. But the data linked to
> Objects itself remains.)
>
> -Ton-

You know, that is an area that has always been obscure for me (unlinking
data).
Sometimes I have data that I'm fully aware that there are no users left
(real nor fake), but still Shif-F4 says it has one. And sometimes when I try
to delete an image, the image magically gets linked to the the scene (from
where it is virtually impossible to remove)... the odd thing is that the
behavior is totally random.  I repeat the exact steps and the outcome turns
out different.

Quite honesty, those Ghostlike data are not that common, but gosht do exits
!!   :-)