[Bf-committers] Support for creases in subdivision surfaces

Matthew H. Plough bf-committers@blender.org
Fri, 07 May 2004 13:53:14 -0400

Chris McFarlen wrote:

>(Umm... I sent this from the wrong account and the moderator grabbed it.  Sorry if it shows up twice)
>
>I didn't know anyone was working on this :)  When I started looking (on Sunday) the blender.org page was slashdotted
>so I didn't know about the mailing list.  I asked the guys on #blendercoders and they said "Go for it!".  So I did.  Sorry.

You don't need to apologize -- that stuff happens all the time in any
scientific community, coding community, etc.  Besides, you were able to
implement it, and I kept hitting walls.  It comes down to "may the best
man win."  In this case, you were obviously the best man.

I want to talk with you at some point, if for no other reason than to
give you some resources that might help you.  I did a great deal of
reading on the topic (including that Pixar white paper), so I may be
able to offer you some insights that you haven't thought about.  I
posted a few resources to www.princeton.edu/~mplough/subsurf that you
may find helpful.

surf01a.jpg - interface ideas from a max plugin
subsurf_weights.jpg - what happens when you have vertex weights instead
of edge weights (from Lightwave)
p159-lee.pdf - the partial entity mesh data structure that I want to put
into Blender -- this needs some heavy duty debate, though
tubscg.pdf - A paper on interactive rendering of subdivision surfaces
with crease edges

I will not have internet access this weekend, but I look forward to
further discussion.

Matt