[Bf-committers] Subversion <-> CVS

Bill Baxter bf-committers@blender.org
Fri, 07 May 2004 11:34:40 -0400

michel.s@home.nl wrote:

> Installing Subversion is as easy as
>installing cvs.

In addition to John Walton's comment about no IRIX port, I would like to
add that there's also no Cygwin port at the moment.  Looks like there's
something being worked on, but currently when I type /setup at my Cygwin
bash prompt, Subversion isn't on the list of things I can install, but
CVS is.  I'm sure there's some sort of Windows binary available but if I
have to go download something from another website somewhere and run a
klunky installer, then I don't consider it to be "as easy to install as
cvs".

Maybe in another year or so Subversion will be widespread enough that it
will make sense to switch over.  But a big well-established project with
a large codebase shouldn't rush out to be an early adopter in my opinion.

--bb