[Bf-committers] Subversion <-> CVS

bf-committers@blender.org bf-committers@blender.org
Thu, 6 May 2004 14:34:42 +0200

> Hi,
>
> Stefan Arentz, the person who's upgrading the GForge version for our
> projects site, likes to know if we don't want to switch to Subversion
> instead.
>
> Now, before all techie wizzkids here start jumping on the topic, I'd
> like to see a couple of things sorted out, especially to prevent
> adopting a system that's not supported well.
>
> - can anyone simply tell me what - for our daily coding practice -
> Subversion would offer extra?

The most important reasons for me to switch over to Subversion would be:
- version history on directories
- renaming of files
- moving files (now this is possible with some ugly cvs surgery which only a cvs admin can do if I'm correct).

The above 3 items would've been useful in the past in a couple of situations and I'm sure it will be useful in the future.

Another important feature Subversion has is atomic commits. This means that if a connection at some point during a commit action is broken, the entire commit will not come through in the repository; the repository will remain consistent.

With regards,
Michel