[Bf-committers] Re: i18n and UI - Theory...

Sun, 21 Mar 2004 16:02:32 +0100

Hi Dani,

(I cc-ed this to committers mailing list, more people might find it an
interesting topic!)

Your not the first with this problem... and it is mainly due to the
current design of the Blender UI, which still demands many small
buttons cramped together having only a short abbreviated text in it.
Translating that is horrible, and mostly not useful at all.
The (pulldown) menus in Blender also are generated dynamically quite
often, which makes translating not easy too.

Your proposal could only work when we recode the GUI to become
completely flexible. That's not possible right now, all buttons have a
hardcoded space, and depend on a fixed location as well. Also: many
people like this 'dashboard' approach, where you can see in a glance a
load of settings, and where the actual text in the button (Amb, Spec,
Hard) is interpreted all the time.

My idea still is to officially restrict UI translation to the tooltips
only, which then can serve as a quick online 'manual' to verfify what
an option does in your own language. These strings are easy to extract
from the sources.

-Ton-

http://www.blender.org