[Bf-committers] SCons on OS X

Douglas Bischoff bf-committers@blender.org
Tue, 9 Mar 2004 13:45:26 -0500

Hello, all:

Forgive me if these issues have been hit already, but here's what I
found after my first attempt to build using SCons on OS X.

1) Changing SConstruct file does not force a rebuild of the scons.conf
file (er, whatever it's called). I see that it only checks for the
presence of scons.conf. Can it also check to see if SConstruct is NEWER
than scons.conf and rebuild accordingly please? I wasted a lot of time
on this one. :-P

2) Linking seems to be broken on OS X. The final linking pass calls:

gcc " -framework Carbon" " -framework AGL" " -framework QuickTime" etc.
etc. etc.

The linker doesn't like the quotes around these calls, and errors out.
I tried several permutations of the SConstruct file trying to eliminate
this, but none seemed to work.

3) The SConstruct script has a "to do" which talks about finding the
"actual location of ../lib" on the User's machine. Currently, a CVS
checkout of lib/ will get you ../lib/darwin-6.1-powerpc as a default.
The default in the SConstruct should probably point to THAT since it
will always be there unless the user has renamed the directory for some
reason. (Even those of us who used to use a symlink will still ahve the
6.1 file there).

Otherwise, things worked quite nicely! Looking positive!

Thanks,

-Bischofftep