[Bf-committers] Scons roundup

Sun, 27 Jun 2004 18:26:48 +0200

Hi,

My personal opinion on scons (how it is now in Blender, can't judge the
general case) is that it's doing its work far too perfect, taking about
every dependency into account, causing incredible long compilation and
initialisation times.
Blender sources are *far* from well organized yet, with dependencies
going all over the code. I guess 95% of dependencies even don't really
matter, and don't need to be evaluated by a make system while working
on the code.

There's 2 requirements for a make system to work for Blender. One is to
build a release, a binary that can be reliably handed out for testing
or actual releasing. The other is assisting a developer while working
on code. The developer is supposed to *know* the code, and where
dependencies reside. Having the 'make' system sorting this out then
only is the rare and exceptional case. In almost all situations you
just want to have a single C file (or small set of files) compiled
again, and the full binary linked.
This should be as fast as possible; and think here of a matter of
seconds, even on a moderate 500 Mhz machine (OSX, as I still use).

What we need is a *default* scons 'developing' setting, where:
- it only checks for changed C files in the current directory (not the
includes!)
- where it just compiles these files, creates the lib, and immediately
links the binary
- this option should recursively include all directories in the tree
below
- it shouldn't print the gcc command line, but just a single liner like
  -- foo.c --
   (this to easier detect warning messages of compiling)
- as option you can invoke the "-g" debug flag for the currently to be
compiled files

And as a variation:
- where it does as above, but checks for changed include files as well

And as specifically added options:
- recompile the code in 'safe' mode taking all dependencies into account
- printing out full gcc command lines

BTW: Changes in Scons settings shouldn't cause recompiles at all. For
example; to compile a C file with different flags, or link with
different libraries, only the touched file(s) should recompile.

It's well possible this already is a scons feature but that doesn't
work at all here. Including the options as regularly mentioned (fast
mode, --up, etc).

-Ton-

http://www.blender.org