[Bf-committers] PupColourPick

Juan J. Pena Mena bf-committers@blender.org
15 Jun 2004 23:42:29 -0400

--=-dkVNdWbOmRXwEbJHXwyG

...By the way

If you are deciding over wich style to use, please make it like GIMP's
water-color mixer. It is amazing how easy it is to get subtle tone
variations with that tool.

=C2=A8This color selector resembles the little water cup you use for blendi=
ng
colors when you're making a watercolor painting.=20

If you want to mix a color, simply move the mouse over the color scale
while pressing the left mouse button. If the color gets too dark you
just press the right mouse button to fade the color. You can also set
the pressure with which you collect the colors. Setting a low pressure
means you have to drag more to get a dark, highly saturated color, but
gives better control over the mixing.=20

You can save ten colors in the dialog. If you want to save a color that
you have mixed, just press new and the color will appear in the color
array. Remember that you can only save ten colors. If you already have
ten colors and save a new color, the oldest one will be replaced.=C2=A8

Next best thing to the water-color mixer is the triangle color picker.

=C2=A8The triangle color selector is one of the best color selectors in GIM=
P.
This is due to the fact that it allows you to visualize hue, value and
saturation simultaneously. You control the hue by dragging the triangle
around in the outer circle. When you have selected your base color, you
simply alter the value and saturation by pressing and dragging inside
the triangle color scale.=C2=A8

And next to it is the GTK color picker. That one is totally compatible
to the current 0 to 1 color system inside Blender.

=C2=A8The GTK Color Selector is similar to GIMP's standard color selector.
The main difference is that you can't select in which color space you
want to work. The left color bar is always working in value mode and you
can alter the hue and saturation by dragging your mouse in the circle.=20

Another difference is that the RGB values are represented in percent
instead of values from 0 to 255. 100% (1.0) is 255 and 0%
(0.0) is 0. The fact is that you should see it as the amount of e.g. red
that you want to mix into your color.=C2=A8

But please please please, take a look at the color picker used in
TrueSpace 3D, that has to be the most cumbersome color picker I ever
used. Once for the implicit imprecision of the tool, and twice for the
small screen size of it. Please avoid putting something like that inside
Blender.

Apollux.

--=-dkVNdWbOmRXwEbJHXwyG

<HTML>
<HEAD>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
...By the way<BR>
<BR>
If you are deciding over wich style to use, please make it like GIMP's water-color mixer. It is amazing how easy it is to get subtle tone variations with that tool.<BR>
<BR>
<I>&#168;This color selector resembles the little water cup you use for blending colors when you're making a watercolor painting. <BR>
<BR>
If you want to mix a color, simply move the mouse over the color scale while pressing the left mouse button. If the color gets too dark you just press the right mouse button to fade the color. You can also set the pressure with which you collect the colors. Setting a low pressure means you have to drag more to get a dark, highly saturated color, but gives better control over the mixing. <BR>
<BR>
You can save ten colors in the dialog. If you want to save a color that you have mixed, just press new and the color will appear in the color array. Remember that you can only save ten colors. If you already have ten colors and save a new color, the oldest one will be replaced.&#168;</I><BR>
<BR>
Next best thing to the water-color mixer is the triangle color picker.<BR>
<BR>
<I>&#168;The triangle color selector is one of the best color selectors in GIMP. This is due to the fact that it allows you to visualize hue, value and saturation simultaneously. You control the hue by dragging the triangle around in the outer circle. When you have selected your base color, you simply alter the value and saturation by pressing and dragging inside the triangle color scale.&#168;</I><BR>
<BR>
And next to it is the GTK color picker. That one is totally compatible to the current 0 to 1 color system inside Blender.<BR>
<BR>
<I>&#168;The GTK Color Selector is similar to <A HREF="http://www.ftgimp.com/help/C/dialogs/color_selectors/built_in.html">GIMP's standard color</A> selector. The main difference is that you can't select in which color space you want to work. The left color bar is always working in value mode and you can alter the hue and saturation by dragging your mouse in the circle. <BR>
<BR>
Another difference is that the RGB values are represented in percent instead of values from 0 to 255. 100&amp;percnt; (1.0) is 255 and 0&amp;percnt; (0.0) is 0. The fact is that you should see it as the amount of e.g. red that you want to mix into your color.&#168;</I><BR>
<BR>
But please please please, take a look at the color picker used in TrueSpace 3D, that has to be the most cumbersome color picker I ever used. Once for the implicit imprecision of the tool, and twice for the small screen size of it. Please avoid putting something like that inside Blender.<BR>
<BR>
Apollux.
</BODY>
</HTML>