[Bf-committers] Todo tracker

Sun, 13 Jun 2004 13:58:47 +0200

Hi,

As a trial/experiment, I've added a new tracker in the bf-blender
project. This one is only visible and editable for logged in project
members. What I'd like to propose, is to move 'bugs' there (or add
reports) which are clearly and undisputable coding jobs to work on.

The Bug tracker itself is polluting a bit too much with such pending
work, and I prefer to keep that tracker for the real errors in code
that just has to be solved.

Todo items also can be clearly comminicated in release logs, and/or on
a page in the development section for everyone to know what's the
pending work. Plus of course, it could be a nice summary of work to
hand over to new developers who like to become active.

Definitions for how to judge reports:

- BUG
A bug is something that is supposed to be working code and/or intended
to work by the developer.

- TODO
A todo issue is missing functionality, which logically could be there,
and which matches the intentions (and design) of the code and of the
developer(s).
Such a 'todo' can just be added to Blender by anyone with just an
approval of the module owner.

- FEATURE REQUEST
A feature request is new functionality, usually requiring new design,
new code, and/or altering parts of the architecture to make possible.
Only when a feature request is well documented, approved, and can be
simply executed by anyone, it can be moved to the 'todo' tracker.

- OPENGL ERROR
Anything graphics related we can't really solve - apart from patching
Blender for specific drivers.

- SUPPORT REQUEST
Reports needing help with compiling, or misinterpreted functionality,
etc.

Some examples:

- TODO: "Ray_transp filters image textures wrong".
It's like a bug yes, but actually it is just missing code which already
resided on my todo list.

- TODO: "Themes missing UV window settings"
Just missing code too

- BUG: "Delete all vertices of path crashes"
Such crashes are just bugs. But; crashes due to bad memory usage (using
3 gig mem or so) are feature requests, since it requires quite some
architecture work in Blender to make it failsafe for memory overflows.

- TODO: "Mandrake 10 libstdc++ error"
For me compile errors for (new) OS or compiler distributions are not
bugs at all, but pending work for the platform maintainers to check on.

-Ton-

http://www.blender.org