[Bf-committers] Patch for bug 1355

Sun, 13 Jun 2004 12:26:28 +0200

Hi,

Although the method used is very simple, it has the advantage of the
simplicity too. Carefully examining the sample file (in bug report) and
what the code does, some aspects pop up:

- the Mesh is highly irregular (face centroids at unreliable places)
- the Mesh has non-flat quads

and:

- the code doesn't take quads into account at all
- the code uses (cpu cheapness) manhattan distance, no real distance.

You could have checked that converting the error file to triangles
already worked, but not in all cases... for the latter the manhattan
distance solves it.

Most important was just adding code to evaluate quads properly, meaning
treating them as 2 individual triangles, since the quads can be
non-flat. Check the commit I just did.

Still, the used system is simple, and I bet you can find some
situations it won't work for. An improved system only can work when it:

- separates parts first with a sortof select-connected
- from each part, find the face that has least intersections with other
faces, with one of its possible normals (both face sides).

Which all will be quite costy, and I propose we could wait for problem
files & evidence first. :)

-Ton-