[Bf-committers] Re: [Bf-blender-cvs] CVS commit: blender/release/scripts ac3d_export.py ac3d_import.py blender2cal3d.py bvh_export.py bvh_import.py DirectXExporter.py lightwave_export.py lightwave_import.py nendo_export.py nendo_import.py obj_export.py obj_import.py off_export.py ...

Matt Ebb bf-committers@blender.org
Fri, 11 Jun 2004 14:30:13 +1000

On 11 Jun 2004, at 2:01 PM, Chris Want wrote:

> Ummm, have you actually tried the other exporters to verify this?
> Certainly dxf and vrml dump out the whole scene.

Yes, you're right about DXF and VRML. However, AFAICS, those and the
Cal3D exporter are the only ones that do export the whole scene by
default - VRML 2.0 and AC3D present a further popup asking to either
export only the selected meshes, or all of them, and the rest of the
exporters only operate on selections. So I guess what seemed weird
about the whole set-up to me was the idea of 'Export Selected' as
something additional to the more generalised 'Export', when exporting
the selected object is more like the rule than the exception. Then
there are also further disparities  - some exporting selected objects,
while others export only the active object, which is partly why I was
thinking "oh well, let's keep it simple and browsable".

> I recommend putting STL back in the 'export selected' menu,
> where it logically belongs, and if you're still gung-ho on
> changing something, move those exporters that only
> export selected objects to the 'export selected' menu.

Splitting it up again like you mention could work, given that the
labelling's made clearer like "Export Scene" vs "Export Selected". A
slight drawback to this means is having to create and maintain two
separate scripts if, like the Cal3D one, it has the ability to export
both.

So.. what does everyone else think?

Matt