[Bf-committers] DOF camera parameters.- Alexander

Jonathan Merritt bf-committers@blender.org
Fri, 11 Jun 2004 00:37:34 +1000

car wrote:

> On Jun 10, 2004, at 7:52 AM, Alexander Ewering wrote:
>
>> Well! I would have if I had any clue on compiling on windows, but I was
>> totally sure that one single person in a community almost entirely
>> consisting of windows users would be able to compile one ;-)
>

> Heh you left the code in such an old CVS version that I could find no
> one at all to help try and build it, they all told me that you should
> have moved on with the rest of the crowd. Is there no way that you
> could try and update it's CVS ? That way someone (like meee ^v^) could
> try and compile it for everyone to test ?

If you have a CVS tree of your own, you could try merging in the latest
Blender CVS code.  This is what the Tuhopuu people do to keep up-to-date
with the main BF-Blender tree.  I've done it once, with, errmm...
"mixed" success, to keep the Aqsis tree up-to-date with Tuhopuu.

There are instructions in the CVS manual.  Online here:
    https://www.cvshome.org/docs/manual/cvs-1.11.16/cvs_13.html#SEC103
Chris Want, from Tuhopuu, pointed me at those when I faced the problem
initially.

As far as the question of feature inclusions go, here's my 2 cents:
Basically, every GPL project has maintaners and committers, whose job is
to direct the course of software, and, in some cases, decide against
inclusions of particular code/features.  Generally, these people have
the roles they do because of their experience, or simply because they
were willing to do the work when others weren't.  In general, I think
it's always best to respect the opinion of these people.  This is not
un-democratic, because the GPL license allows *anyone* to start a fork
if they thought that the majority would follow their lead.  However, to
retain their community of developers and users, the project maintainers
must be sensitive to the requirements.

In this area, I think Ton has done an incredible job - certainly among
the best of any Open Source identity I've ever come across.  If he
opposes a particular feature, the first question that comes into my mind
is: why?  I'm sure there must be a reason; and I'm guessing Ton will
have a reasonable answer to that question that has the community's best
interests at heart.

Jonathan Merritt.