[Bf-committers] DOF camera parameters.

Fabrizio bf-committers@blender.org
Thu, 10 Jun 2004 13:41:09 +0200

>> In the z-blur method, hiding has already been done prior to calculation
>> of blur.  The advantage that the CoC method has is that hiding is *not*
>> done prior to calculation of the blur.  Hence, objects with a large
>> circle-of-confusion can blur out from "behind" objects that would
>> otherwise hide them (which happens in reality due to the fact that the
>> lens and aperture of a real camera have a non-infinitesimal width).
>> However, even the CoC method (as described) is still a hack, since the
>> inside of the circle of confusion is not sampled.

>The biggest problem the circle-of-confusion method has, in my opinion,
>is that it is awfully slow.

Hi,

Can't both be implemented and then the choice left up to the user? For
stills, the circle of confusion is probably better, but for animations,
zblur might be the better option due to rendering time constraints. It's one
place where a drop-down will make sense: Off/zblur/CoC  ;o)

Either way, it is nice to see that some form of dof might finally be
directly integrated.

Regards,
Fabrizio

ps. Alex, the focus lag is a really interesting feature, thanks! It's a pity
no one ever managed to compile a windows binary from your sources. I really
should set up a linux box!