[Bf-committers] DOF camera parameters.

Jonathan Merritt bf-committers@blender.org
Thu, 10 Jun 2004 21:11:29 +1000

Hi Alexander,

Indeed, both circumscribing the circle-of-confusion and z-blur are both
hacks...

In the z-blur method, hiding has already been done prior to calculation
of blur.  The advantage that the CoC method has is that hiding is *not*
done prior to calculation of the blur.  Hence, objects with a large
circle-of-confusion can blur out from "behind" objects that would
otherwise hide them (which happens in reality due to the fact that the
lens and aperture of a real camera have a non-infinitesimal width).
However, even the CoC method (as described) is still a hack, since the
inside of the circle of confusion is not sampled.

Shouldn't z-blur be possible as a filtering process (provided you can
access depth information for each pixel)?

Jonathan Merritt.