[Bf-committers] DOF camera parameters.

Jonathan Merritt bf-committers@blender.org
Thu, 10 Jun 2004 20:43:25 +1000

Hi Cam,

> About implimenting DOF in blenders renderer-
>
> This could be done the same way as motion blur
> rendering the same image from different positions and then mixing them.

You're right!  It would be quite easy to add another loop, *inside* the
mblur loop for each frame.  It'd make combining DOF and mblur a lengthy
process though.  Can you imagine the rendering time required for 16x16
frames?! :-]

I could have a go at doing this if there's much interest - it'd probably
take me only a day or two, given the amount of time I've spent ploughing
through the internals of Blender's renderer over the last few weeks.  I
could follow the existing reported techniques and do a single lap of the
circle of confusion.

If there is interest in this sort of thing, I could create a patch of
the required changes against either the existing Tuhopuu or BF-Blender
and submit it quite quickly.

> Also- an autofocus system would be cool too.

I'm not clear what you mean by this exactly.  Relating back to
real-world cameras, I'm guessing you mean that you could provide some
kind of button that allows you to select a point in the scene, and the
focal distance would be set to the value of the distance to the object
at the selected point.

In principle, something like that should be very simple.  I'm not sure
how to go about implementing it though.  It would probably require
relying on the OpenGL implementation to be able to query a depth value.

Jonathan Merritt.