[Bf-committers] Re: [Bf-blender-cvs] CVS commit: blender/source/blender/makesdna DNA_material_types.h blender/source/blender/render/intern/source rendercore.c blender/source/blender/src buttons_shading.c

Stephen Swaney bf-committers@blender.org
Thu, 29 Jul 2004 07:24:08 -0500

Matt Ebb wrote:

> On 29 Jul 2004, at 9:05 PM, Ton Roosendaal wrote:
> >
> > Order as I prefer is based on operations and its negation together;
> >
> > 1. Mix
> > 2. Add / Subtract
> > 3. Mult / Screen
> > 4. Divide / Difference
> > 5. Darken / Lighten
> >
> > Coincidentally, the first four is in similar order as previously in
> > Blender, with new options added. The 'screen' command is a variation
> > of multiply.
> >
> > The last 2 have wrong names btw, the operation doesnt darken/lighten
> > at all, but is a comparision between 2 colors, choosing either the
> > lightest or darkest. It seems to be common to name it this way though.

[snip]

> Your example of screen and multiply shows that you're thinking from a
> developer's point of view. In terms of the end result shown to an
> artist, 'screen' is in no way a variation of multiply. Until I actually
> looked at the example source code, I had no absolutely no idea that
> screen and multiply were related and I'd been using them in Photoshop
> for years and years.

The book "Grokking the GIMP" is aimed at teaching artists 2D computer
graphics in the context of the GIMP.  The section on blending modes
describes Multiply, Divide, Screen and Overlay as multiplicative
blending modes.  Multiply and Screen are described as opposites.

For what it's worth, the GIMP names used for Darken and Lighten
are Darken Only and Lighten Only.  Maybe Darkest and Lightest
would be nice Blender names since they imply comparison.

Personally, I'm less concerned about feature names and more
interested in whether they are located conveniently and
behave in a consistent manner.  If you can't remember what
a button does, well, that's why we have tooltips.

--
Stephen Swaney
sswaney@swbell.net