[Bf-committers] Re: [Bf-blender-cvs] CVS commit: blender/source/blender/src editobject.c

Fabrizio bf-committers@blender.org
Tue, 27 Jul 2004 19:16:54 +0200

> Fabrizio wrote:
> > Could we at least have the option to numerically place the cursur
> > throughthe N panel when nothing is selected? As it is, being able
> > to use the cursur
> > as an exact tool is not available as a primary OR secondary feature.

> No, we can't.  This is yet another giant, horrible workflow hack.  While
> Blender is a giant code hack, it works correctly, and provides a smooth,
> elegant, and *fast* workflow using a minimalist set of tools.  There
aren't
> exceptions to rules; for the most part everything is consistent.  To see
> what I mean, take 3ds max as an example.  You have to have a different
> hotkey for extruding meshes, curves, and surfaces -- that's three hotkeys
as
> opposed to Blender's one -- all for the same operation!  If we start
> introducing odd exceptions to how the N panel works, how grabbing works,
and
> the like, then we accomplish nothing in the way of furthering a
professional
> tool.  Blender started out as a professional tool, and it needs to stay
that
> way.
> Matt

Hi Matt,

Do tell?  In what way does using the *Numerical menu* to *Numerically place*
the cursur not fit with Blender's workflow? In what way does it not provide
a smooth, elegant, and *fast* workflow using a minimalist set of tools? in
what way is it not consistant? In what way is it relevant to the 3Ds max
example (The example actually backs my argument)?  I suggested using the
Numerical menu to Numerically place the cursur!! How un-intuitive is that?

I make a living out of Blender and have been doing so for years now. I too
want it to stay professional too. The gaps don't help.

What solution do you propose?

Thank you

regards,
Fabrizio