[Bf-committers] Feature Idea- cad like info display.

Campbell Barton bf-committers@blender.org
Wed, 21 Jul 2004 15:07:54 +1000

Hi, I was in the bank today when I had this idea an the back of a
deposit slip.

I was thinking about what kind of cad features could be implemented in
blender to make it better for designing thangs that useually require cad
type features.
came up with and idea where edge/face lengths could be displayed in the
3d view as well as angles inbetween faces/edges.

This would be usless on a mesh like the monkey but it you were using
blender to create an edge in the shape of a floor plan having the extra
info would be good.

Would add a button to the edit win where Draw Normals.. faces.. etc are
now. It would be called "Draw Geometry Info" or some such name.

* Edge/Face Length (draw a number in the middle of the 2 verts showing
there length)
* Face area- Draw the face area in the middle of the face (where the
normal is displayed)
* Angle- if a vert shares 2 edges then display the angle between them
with a nice semi circle (like in geom diagrams), A square would be drawn
and No angle number if the angle is a right angle.

As I sead, this would be utterly usless on a humen head mesh but for
making a template for a house it would be usefull.

None of the math is that hard to do this, its just a matter of adding it
and fiddling  with the draw code etc.

There is also are enough room in the Draw buttons win that it could be
split up into 2 colums so Draw Length/Area and Angle could be 3 seperate
options.

Am I posting in the wrong place for this? if so where  should I post it.

Its not exactly a feature request since Im willing to code it.

- Cam