[Bf-committers] Strange rendering speed

Daniel Fairhead bf-committers@blender.org
Sat, 10 Jul 2004 15:06:51 +0300

> - in Blender itself took 41.70 sec.
> - in background (commandline option -b) with normal task priority
> 	took 43.26
> - and same above but highest task priority took 43.28
>

> Questions:

Possible guesses:

> - why is background rendering always slower then normal rendering ?

window, and so not giving it desktop-priority?

> - why has canging the priority of the blender task no effect of
> 	rendering speed?

Isn't priority to do with how much CPU it gets, compared to other tasks?
So if you aren't running other programs, it should be pretty much equivalent. If
you were running a compile of blender, or decompressing a massive file at the
same time, it might be noticeable (providing the kernel/scheduler is good enough).

> - Many people told me that Blender on Linux renders 2.5 times faster
> 	then on windows. True? And why?

Always has been faster for me. I wouldn't say 2.5 times, but noticably. But I have
found all tasks on linux faster. I won't get into an argument about which being "better",
but I would guess something about the kernel, perhaps. Maybe the way memory is handled
is more efficient in linux (probably). Ditto CPU.

Dan
"Shedding dark on questions in the New Millenium!"