[Bf-committers] Strange rendering speed

Alexander Ewering bf-committers@blender.org
Sat, 10 Jul 2004 13:36:23 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004, Bart wrote:

> I did some rendering speed tests on Win2K with a scene of five textured
> monkeys and color background (nothing more):
>
> - in Blender itself took 41.70 sec.
> - in background (commandline option -b) with normal task priority
> 	took 43.26
> - and same above but highest task priority took 43.28
>
> Questions:
> - why is background rendering always slower then normal rendering ?

Because the difference is so insignificant (3.7%) that it can be
attributed to anything, including things missing from the disk cache
when not already in blender, or the binary not being loaded already
when you use the commandline, etc. Nothing to worry about.

> - why has canging the priority of the blender task no effect of
> 	rendering speed?

Because you can't make your computer faster by assigning higher
priorities to tasks. It's much like with vertex groups in Blender:
They only change the *balance*, not the absolute amount of
weight (speed) :)

> - Many people told me that Blender on Linux renders 2.5 times faster
> 	then on windows. True? And why?

I seriously don't think so. The only things I could think of which
might make it faster is a better compiler. But that's maybe 2.5%, not
2.5 times :)