[Bf-committers] Yafray export

Matthew H Plough bf-committers@blender.org
Fri, 09 Jul 2004 16:02:54 -0400

<BODY><P></P>
<P></P>
<P>Arne wrote:<BR>"I've got a question concerning the Yafray-export. In line 1069 of&nbsp;export_File.cpp the lamp-&gt;dist value is used for the power of the&nbsp;lamp. But&nbsp;why? The distance term is in my opinion irrelevant, lamp-&gt;energy&nbsp;should be&nbsp;used for this."</P>
<P>The distance term is not irrelevant, if you want to duplicate the intensity of Blender's lighting in Yafray.&nbsp; I can't tell you the exact formula because I don't have access to the code at the moment, but lamp-&gt;energy and lamp-distance interact to create a lighting intensity.&nbsp; </P>
<P>Arne wrote:<BR>"Of course the amount of energy also scales with the size of the&nbsp;scene, but the&nbsp;user could then figure out how much "wattage" he needs."</P>
<P>I disagree.&nbsp; Wattage is a relatively useless way of specifying how much light is emitted.&nbsp; It is a measure of the amount of energy (joules) used in a given amount of time (seconds).&nbsp; It is not a measure of luminance, irradiance, or other interpretation of lighting intensity.&nbsp; For example, a 25 watt incandescent bulb can barely be used for reading, while a 25 watt fluorescent is quite bright.&nbsp; Since joules coming off of&nbsp;a black body of a given size is so far from intuitive that it prohibits further discussion, I suggest using lumens or another measure.&nbsp; But that would require correlating the grid size with a real-life distance measurement, such as the meter.&nbsp; I don't see a problem with that from a usability standpoint, so long as that distance can be user-set.</P>
<P>Matt</P></BODY>