[Bf-committers] A contribution

Campbell Barton bf-committers@blender.org
Sat, 03 Jul 2004 09:44:24 +1000

See inline comment-

Dan Brown wrote:

> I can only find reference to 2 common file formats used solely for
> depth buffers.
>
> .zpic - Output by softImage from what I can tell and importable into
> AfterEffects, Combustion, and Photoshop. This is just a headerless
> file of floats, 1 per pixel. I didn't find any more info than that
> such as the range used and orientation but I will keep looking.

This format sounds cool :) very easy to impliment, could probably Make a
cinepaint plugin in no time as well as the existing support you mention.

> .eiz - Output by ElectricImage and importable into the same apps as
> above with plugins. I couldn't find any info at all on the file format
> for this except that it can support multiple images for animations.
>
> The Maya (.iff) and 3ds max (.rla superceded by .rpf) formats save the
> depth internally along with image and alpha data.
>
> That is all from Google, so it may not be 100% correct.
>
> I haven't got access to any of these apps though, so I can't try and
> work out exactly how they work. I did fid plugins for photoshop and
> viewers that I can use though if anyone does have one of these files
> lying around.
>
> I will carry on looking for any specifications for both of them.
>
> For integrating into Blender, I now think that a toggleable 'save
> zbuf' button in the Render panel would be better than adding it as a
> new image file format that just saves the depth component. Mainly
> because if you render an animation that takes several minutes/hours,
> you will only need to render it once that way.

If this is the case then I think you'll need a NONE image format bacause
it IS possible youll have a rendered animation (from a prev version pf
blender for instance) and youll want just to render the Zbufer.
- Cam