[Bf-committers] Fix for #913 "inconsistent .B.blend loading/saving"

Simon Clitherow bf-committers@blender.org
Mon, 26 Jan 2004 18:2:6 +0000

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the patch.

The plan was to remove the inconsistant saving of .B.blend across the
different windows versions (Win9x has no concept of profile dirs, etc).
This change was then further (and perhaps, unduly) complicated by a
"transition period" - allowing people to still read their existing
settings but saving defaults goes to ~/.blender and from then on, they
are read from there. This is the reason for all the #ifdefs dotted
around the place, which will later be removed.

As for HOME/.blender vs. HOME, I'm entirely happy to use HOME (which
is the location of the blender.exe and NOT the system var!), however, I
believe doing so caused problems with FTFont and the infamous
".blanguages not found" error, but I can't fully recall...

My argument is that since ~/.blender is now becoming more and more
important (already we've seen this used for translation files, and
now python scripts), it seemed the logical place for all blender's
external dependancies (excluding *.dlls, of course! :)).

Still, the topic of 'Installation' and directory structure is
something we have planned to discuss more after the 2.32 release, so
your comments and suggestions are very welcome.

In the meantime, I'll look over your patch and the code again and see
what can be done.

Cheers,

Simon