[Bf-committers] Camera, displacement and normals

Wed, 21 Jan 2004 12:14:51 +0100

Hi,

Builtin panorama render works fine for your file:

http://www.blender.org/bf/pano1.jpg  (your file, "Pano", 2 parts)

bump and a "Sun" lamp don't work well, here's a lamp:

http://www.blender.org/bf/pano2.jpg

and the real power is setting the slices small, and render more parts:

http://www.blender.org/bf/pano3.jpg

If you want 360 degree panoramas of environments look good, you have to =20=

allow such nice curved lines, works excellent for panning. In NeoGeo =20
days, we used it for the LostRide game, which had wide panorama views =20=

of a 'ride', and allowed the viewer to look around about 180 degrees.

I didn't check why individual renderings don't work... maybe 90 degree =20=

slices with a Sun and an extreme wide-angle lens can cause some errors? =20=

Don't have time now to dive into this, with the official method (Pano) =20=

working nicely.

-Ton-

On Wednesday, Jan 21, 2004, at 09:31 Europe/Amsterdam, Gregor M=FCckl =20=

wrote:

> Am Wednesday 21 January 2004 03:15 schrieb Robert Wenzlaff:
>> On Tuesday 20 January 2004 09:38, Gregor M=FCckl wrote:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> I'm currently in the process of building a game engine which allows =20=

>>> the
>>> player to look at panoramas, with viewing angles of 180 degrees in =20=

>>> the
>>> vertical direction and 360 degrees in the horizontal direction.
>>>
>>> I am able to render these panoramas within blender with a small =20
>>> trick: I
>>> use a camera fov of 90 degrees and render 6 images - two along each
>>> coordinate axis - and project them onto a cube which is rendered in
>>> realtime. This method works quite good.
>>>
>>> Obviously, the rendered images must fit together seamlessly to =
create
>>> this illusion. However, I discovered, that when mapping texture =20
>>> output
>>> onto the displacement or normal of a material, the images won't fit =20=

>>> as