[Bf-committers] """Bug""" in refraction/ray transmission/displacement code ???

Robert Wenzlaff bf-committers@blender.org
Tue, 20 Jan 2004 20:25:44 -0500

On Monday 19 January 2004 13:40, Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  ...may be this is an optical illusion? But I dont think so...
>
>  Render a (ray) transparent sphere with IOR of 1.54 (glass) and
>  raydepth 10, set smooth and catmull subsurf.
>
>  You get something which looks like "solid glass" (oracle bowl ;)
>
>  Now assign a texture (even texture "none" works!) using
>  displacement. Displace only a little, so the surface get some slight
>  "hills" but get not distorted or any sharp edges (no mesh super
>  nova!). In case of texture "none" this later is not that important ;)

I'll do one better.  UVSphere, any texture, Mapt to Displace, Set Nor and
Disp. sliders to 0.

I now get two images of the sphere, one inside the other.

Weird.  Looking into it.