[Bf-committers] """Bug""" in refraction/ray transmission/displacement code ???

Meino Christian Cramer bf-committers@blender.org
Mon, 19 Jan 2004 19:40:55 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

 ...may be this is an optical illusion? But I dont think so...

 Render a (ray) transparent sphere with IOR of 1.54 (glass) and
 raydepth 10, set smooth and catmull subsurf.

 You get something which looks like "solid glass" (oracle bowl ;)

 Now assign a texture (even texture "none" works!) using
 displacement. Displace only a little, so the surface get some slight
 "hills" but get not distorted or any sharp edges (no mesh super
 nova!). In case of texture "none" this later is not that important ;)

 Render again: Now the sphere looks liek being hollow.

 Is it the oracle I saw or....a bug in the Matrix?  ;)

 Kind regards,
 Meino (mcc)