[Bf-committers] Re: normalmap patch

Alfredo de Greef bf-committers@blender.org
Fri, 16 Jan 2004 11:16:41 -0800 (PST)

> I rather review & check on this patch after 2.32
> release... to much work todo on my desk. OK?

No, just ignore it, it isn't really meant to be
included in blender. I just created the patch for some
who wanted normalmap support. Despite several people
trying to explain it is no different from bumpmapping.
So I just did this quick patch so they could try it
for themselves. I don't really think it is useful at
all, especially now more and more people telling me
(well, not me directly) how useless this is without
being able to create normal maps from highpoly meshes
in the first place, which is much more dificult to do
similar to uv unwrapping. This patch doesn't do
anything more than interpret the colors as normals for
bumpmapping. The technique is mostly used in games, it
probably doesn't really have much use in a software
renderer. Adaptive displacement mapping is much more
useful when that is implemented.

Alfredo