[Bf-committers] Re: [Bf-blender-cvs] CVS commit: blender/source/blender/makesdna DNA_texture_types.h blender/source/blender/render/intern/source texture.c blender/source/blender/renderconverter/intern convertBlenderScene.c blender/source/blender/src buttons_shading.c

Robert Wenzlaff bf-committers@blender.org
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 20:37:41 -0500

On Thursday 15 January 2004 08:59, Douglas Bischoff wrote:
> On Jan 14, 2004, at 23:06, Robert Wenzlaff wrote:
> >   	- Removed Data scale from displacement routines.  Made
> >   	  sliders unusable for objects scaled in editmode.  Displacement
> >   	  now relative to unit sized object.  Displace still tracks
> >   	  with object scale, so scale out of editmode if you want a
> >   	  large object with deep displacement.
>
> This is confusing to me. Does that mean that displacement won't work if
> you EVER hit "S" in editmode? How will the program know when the whole
> object has been scaled in editmode vs. just a few vertices, etc.

No, it will work, but the displacement won't get any deeper.  If you scale a
unit plane to 100x100 in editmode, the max dislacement will be the same depth
as if the object were 1x1.

Example:
Start with a unit plane.  Displace until the height of the peaks is 10% the
plane's width.

If you scale in edit mode, the displacement depth won't scale, so your peaks
are now only 0.1% of the plane's width when the verts are scaled to 100x100.

If you scale in object mode, then the depth of the displacement will be
multiplied by the scale (100), so it will have the same _relative_ depth as
it did on the unit plane.  So the height of your peaks will still be 10% of
the plane's width.

> Lastly, I presume displacement only works on mesh objects right now,
> yes?

No, again.

See: http://www.soylent-green.com/tutes/Displacement.html (WIP)

It works on all 3D objects, But not all objects are equally suitable for
displacement.  Extruded curves are esp. bad, since there's no way to
subdivide the flat areas on the top/bot to a suitable smoothness.

As Socrates once said:
               "I drank what?????"
Robert Wenzlaff        rwenzlaff@soylent-green.com