[Bf-committers] Displacement mapping oddity

Robert Wenzlaff bf-committers@blender.org
Wed, 14 Jan 2004 08:11:26 -0500

On Wednesday 14 January 2004 02:07, Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  from my point of view there are some issues with displacement
>  mapping, which should work better in the "final" release of
>  Blender 2.32...
[ . . .]
>  But currently a good looking displacement is only working on meshes
>  with many vertices, which are nearly equally distributed over the
>  mesh. An UV-sphere is a good example here.

Adaptive subdivide is on the to-do list.

>  Furthermore, applying a displacement mapping to a simple mesh like a
>  plane will warp the plane to hyperspace far beyond Pluto...a newbie to
>  blender will never find it back again...;)

The scaling does need work, I'll admit, but if you are making a large plane,
and only want subtle displace, try turning off AutoTexSpace.  Scale of object
data is only included if that is on.   Object scale is always included.
As Socrates once said:
               "I drank what?????"
Robert Wenzlaff        rwenzlaff@soylent-green.com