[Bf-committers] blender sub-components

Wed, 14 Jan 2004 11:40:40 +0100

Hi,

>>> 2. how difficult it is to reuse blender's GUI toolkit for another
>>>    application? is there such projects around? is the toolkit
>>> available
>>>    as standalone library or something?

It will be quite difficult, but possible. However, you might end up
then with a library that is not used by Blender itself. Main problem is
that the design for the Blender UI doesn't have the target to be useful
for other apps, making it easier to include widget elements that use
and work on specific Blender data only, assuming the settings are saved
in a Blender-like filesystem. Plus, the current state of the code is
still 'work in progress', the 2.3x UI project hasn't been finilized yet.

One of the other problems is that the lowest level Blender UI code,
especially in editscreen.c + mywindow.c, is polluted with history too
much. Best would be to cleanup that part first, including tackling the
antique internal event system (still queues with just 2 shorts per
event). The result of such a project then might be potentially (easier)
suited for usage in other applications too.

Such a project will require a *thorough* understanding of what this
code does though, not something I see someone doing easily.

> may be i should create WidgetsLiberation project at blender.org ?

You won't need such a facility until there's an actual team needing CVS
and mailing lists. Until then you can best just communicate on
proceedings via this mailing list. :)

-Ton-

http://www.blender.org