[Bf-committers] blender sub-components

Artem Baguinski bf-committers@blender.org
Tue, 13 Jan 2004 19:53:49 +0100

On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 12:03:25PM -0600, Kent Mein wrote:
> > i've got two questions about blender parts. i'd appreciate if you send
> > me to correct place where to dig the answer.
> >
> > 1. what's the state of the game engine?
>
> Someone working on this could answer this better.  I believe things are further
> along in the tuhopuu tree, which can be found here:
>
> http://projects.blender.org/projects/tuhopuu/

aha. i'll check it out then.

> If your intersted in helping with it you probably want to go with that
> until its worked back into the main tree.  Tuhopuu is the experimental tree
> and is where most of the "work" gets done with new features, ideas etc...
>
> > 2. how difficult it is to reuse blender's GUI toolkit for another
> >    application? is there such projects around? is the toolkit available
> >    as standalone library or something?
>
> Depends on what exactly your looking for.

say i'd like to have a 2D image editor that would have some of the gimp's
tools, support some of the gimp's plugins but would have look and feel
of blender.

or music / sound editor with features of audacity and sweep but look and
feel of blender.

or a non-linear video editor with features of... hmm... ok, with
features of jashaka but look and feel of blender.

or level editor for some [not blender based] game...

etc. etc.

not that i'm gonna start tommorrow programming all that, but imagine i'd
have to program something from the above list and i find Blender's
GUI-philosophy the closest to my imaginary ideal world's one. it would
have been logical to use the Blenders widgets, no?

I don't like the mainstream desktop environments and the window manager
of my choice is ratpoison [+screen]. It doesn't mean I don't believe in
GUI in general - i just find desktops environments cluttered with
overlapping windows counter productive.

If the no-desktop-environment was to be designed i'd suggest to use
blender as an example / open source of inspiration / place to borrow
widget set ;)

may be i should create WidgetsLiberation project at blender.org ?

--
gr{oe|ee}t{en|ings}