[Bf-committers] Re: [Bf-blender-cvs] CVS commit: blender/source/blender/render/intern/source texture.c

Alexander Ewering bf-committers@blender.org
Sat, 10 Jan 2004 17:04:59 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004, Ton Roosendaal wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Uhh, I really tried to be very down to earth! :)
>
> The old normal code, just used the 'intensity' value coming from the
> texture (1 number) and rotated the normal a bit around with that.
> Pretty fake results, but it's something.
>
> Now it takes 4 samples in the texture, with small offsets, and uses
> these samples to calculate a normal:
>
> n[0]= sample1 - sample0;
> n[1]= sample2 - sample0;
> n[2]= sample3 - sample0;
>
> Much more scientific, but slower...

What is the actual result in terms of visible change? Does it
provide better anti-aliasing with moving textures (which has
always been a problem with procedural normal mapping)?
The "Samples with small offsets" sounds like that...