[Bf-committers] doxygen updates

Alex Combas bf-committers@blender.org
Sat, 3 Jan 2004 13:09:13 -0800 (PST)

--- Ton Roosendaal <ton@blender.org> wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
> There's a gap between "what we want" and "what works
> for us". I'm
> afraid the doxy project is too much wishful thinking
> here. Apart from
> some energy Casey put in it in the past, none of the
> developers here
> seems to actively support it.

Sorry Ton,
I hadnt seen this email before I sent in my last one.
Im not sure if I should have sent my last email or
not.

I was thinking that I would start just by editing the
current comments in the code so that they would render
properly with doxy. That wouldnt involve any effort
from developers as those comments have already been
written.

To be honest at first I thought the code was a total
mess but now its starting to make more sence and there
are actually quite a bit of comments in there already!

> I also think it is dangerous to do code documenting
> without fully
> understanding the structure and actual
> implementation. Code documenting
> also should not just replace what you can find out
> already by reading
> code itself. What we clearly miss most is good
> documentation providing
> general overview, like how the code (c & h files,
> APIs) relates in
> Blender.

Yes I agree, I assumed that by the time I finsied
updating the current comments (just so that they
render better in doxy) that by then I would have a
better understanding of how the whole source worked
and so I would be in a better position to start
writing *new* comments. I also agree that source code
comments should
explain not just how a function works but also explain
when and how the function should be used, and how it
relates to other structures.

But me writing new comments wont happen for a long
long time, I still have a lot of learning to do!

...if doxy doesnt sound like a good idea then I guess
maybe I should help out in some other way, but
to be honest I would perfer to do this doxy work,
Im very motivated to learn the source and also share
what I learn with others and I think doxy is a good
way for me to do that.

Alex