[Bf-committers] doxygen updates

Sat, 3 Jan 2004 15:07:35 +0100

Hi Alex,

There's a gap between "what we want" and "what works for us". I'm
afraid the doxy project is too much wishful thinking here. Apart from
some energy Casey put in it in the past, none of the developers here
seems to actively support it.

I also think it is dangerous to do code documenting without fully
understanding the structure and actual implementation. Code documenting
also should not just replace what you can find out already by reading
code itself. What we clearly miss most is good documentation providing
general overview, like how the code (c & h files, APIs) relates in
Blender.

The major problem is - of course - that the current code structure
doesn't document well at all, most of it is just an inheritence from a
dark past that has been 'reorganized' a couple of times based on quite
individual (and sometimes conflicting) visions.

If you are motivated helping out with technical documentation for
Blender, we might better define targets that help the current projects
better. Like managing and upgrading the current documentation on
blender.org. And/or revising what is still available from the NaN tech
docs, and reconstruct/edit that based on what is still valid.
Or building an overview of all current python scripts... or creating
documentation for users (tutos/demos) when we do releases. Just to
mention a few things.

Most important is to find out what your personal incentive is. What is
it you like to do, and what is your competence or background?

-Ton-