[Bf-committers] Next-gen projects

Thu, 26 Feb 2004 16:32:49 +0100

Hi all,

While discussing organizational details related to the Uni-verse
project, one of the issues that arose was how to name things... with
Eskil talking about "next gen Blender" it confuses people more than it
helps. This also because what will be developed by the Stockholm team
will a generic 'plug-in framework' to enabling creating a full
compatible Verse client. Although this is a very interesting research
project, and can result in modules or code that can be used by
Blender3, it's not the roadmap I had in mind myself for Blender3. I'd
prefer to have another project, or even series of projects, running to
research and develop ideas and architecture. In the end, at some stage,
these projects then can even come together and (partially) join as as
official Blender3.

The idea we came up was choosing neutral meaningless code names for all
next-gen projects on blender.org. This happens with other software too,
like Sumatra (softimage) or Magma (3DS) or Longhorn (MS).

My suggestion is to use colors for it, as also can be found in
blenkernel/internal/material.c. While mixing some colors quickly in
Blender - and press 'auto' - I've already reserved 2 colors:

-project Purple: led by Emil Brink, Verse team. Build Verse-based
plug-in framework.
-project Olive: led by myself, proposal & generic functional specs for
Blender3, based on Blender2 & feedback sessions, and concept to build
it on top of OpenGL2, Python & Verse with database.

I realize more of such projects might start, with different visions or
approaches, or with a more limited scope (like building opengl2.0
shader editor). Blending all colors together then might give a very
exciting Blender3!

Typically, I can't start working or coding without having a name. So!
Now I can start... :-)
You dudes out there, like it?

-Ton-

http://www.blender.org