[Bf-committers] IRC meeting minutes feb 8+15

Sat, 21 Feb 2004 18:55:43 +0100

Hi all,

Summary of discussed topics;

Feb 8:

1. review release

- One critical bug was reported by Kino, related to mesh editing. The
bug is an 'oldie', so no reason for an update release. Just reason to
fix for next release!

2. trackers

- Discussed was whether we'll add new trackers (or categories) for
engine, yafray and (python) exporter related issues. Decided was to
wait for it to become really necessary. Jandro will host his own bug
tracker for yafray related topics.
- Jandro does a humble request for more coders in the YafRay team!!!

3. status of projects

- Since Kester announced good results with the Solid re-integration, we
can make the next release the 'engine back' release. We need to wait
for more reporting on this issue still. Some people mention it doesn't
compile even yet.
For the time being it remains in tuhopuu, until compiling is solved.
Then it can be moved to bf-blender cvs.
- The release complexity (with yafray, py plugins) gets more complex...
so we have to look at how to treat a restored game engine. Idea still
is to fork this to separete cvs project, and give the engine team its
own release cycle. Also this is pending input from Kester.

- Jiri presented a MBall proposal:
http://e-learning.vslib.cz/hnidek/proposal/
At first sight reactions were positive, but the implications of doing
this arose some questions. Ton proposed Jiri to look at alternative
strategies, for example using Mesh as input for MetaBall polygonize().
That you have RVK keyframe and transform() functions working at once.

Feb 15:

1. Python 2.3

- Willian proposes to switch to 2.3.3 python for Blender. There are
compatibility problems for die-hard python users, which forces them to
install 2.2 to use Blender.
- All 2.3.x python release are compatible
- Willian then also will solve the issue which modules are default
compiled in with Blender, reducing the need for users to have a full
Python install. For Blender scripts to be included (promoted, offered)
we then can stick to the ones we provide.
- Among modules to be included are os, math, string, zlib
- Since OSX 10.3 has python as part-of-the-OS, we can think of
releasing a special 10.3 version with dynamic linked python (possible.
not decided)
- security issue to solve: making sure it's a user pref if a .blend
file loaded can automatically run a script

2. Autoconf / Scons

- Michel is about to remove autoconf from cvs, and offer Scons as
worthy alternative. Everyone agrees, so he can GO!
- Michel will provide noob level docs for it as well
- People discussed methods to communicate it best to the autoconf
users... like a ./configure script that prints hints/tips
- scons support for MSVC project files is not sorted out yet. (Just
informed at irc, and zr proposed to use 'call-out', meaning MSVC will
call and use Scons for compiling, so that builds would all be using
exact same compile commands

3. 2.33 projects

- ton will fix reported bugs in render, and do some feature fixes (like
for soft shadow ligths)
- there are many issues reported about normals flipping in render
- theeth mentions Leon is doing interesting work on particles. (Should
have been posted on blender.org forums, but didn't locate it yet.)
- willian will add  Object->Generators and Object->Modifiers in the 3d
view menu
- Bjornmose is working on some UV mapping stuff
- new boolean code (from Laurence) needs work still
- theeth will send a proposal for transform() function reconstructing

4. Random talks:

- Theeth pointed to the Tracker, which is being stuffed with new
reports! Everyone's invited to go over them!

- Reimpel joined the meeting to discuss issues with the Python API. He
works on an exporter to Ogre (game engine) and encountered a couple of
issues. To name two: Ipo-Curves of a bone cannot be accessed yet, and
Action ipos are not named consistently.
He unfortunately has no time to code it himself in Blender, and wants
to endorse someone to work on it! This discussion ended chaotic, so I
add to it:
   - post bug reports always in Tracker. We really work there.
   - do feature requests or discussion topics on mailing lists. We have
a very good python mailinglist too (links on frontpage
projects.blender.org)

- Trip_dragon discussed an idea to get (much wanted) features
implemented easier. Like with a top-20 most wanted list, or by adding
bounty to it. He will post it on forums to get feedback on the topic.

-Ton-

http://www.blender.org