[Bf-committers] Render Panel Proprosal (Variable OSA, Render Sizes)

Sat, 21 Feb 2004 12:50:03 +0100

Hi,

> PART  ONE: VARIABLE OSA SLIDER

The current presets (5, 8, 11, 16) are based on the most optimal
sampling pattern which the jitter() algorithm generates. Other values
still give some unwanted visible patterns, so didn't provide real
satisfying results. However, it was implemented before motion blur was
added. Back then, render time difference of 5, 8, 11, 16 was not too
significant, so the presets were very acceptable.

Now with raytracing added, better control is more evident yes. I
wouldn't solve it simply by making an OSA slider. The real problems
should be tackled:

- reviewing the jitter code again (its 10 years old!). I bet the algo
to make such patterns can use some ugrading
- dropping the builtin limit of 16 samples maximum (there's some
hardwired code here that needs check
- allowing better control over motion blur, which could be done by
allowing a separate value for amount of blur samples (independent of AA
samples)
- implement better AA for raytracing sampling, which can become
adaptive too (detecting high frequency/differences) and probably allow
a different sample total than for standard OSA (which does polygon
edges only).

Simplest will be separating the amount of blur samples from the actual
OSA (polygon edge AA) samples. Blur samples then can become a slider.

> PART TWO:  VARIABLE RENDER SIZE SLIDER

Here I don't really have an opinion... it's handy to include 200% yes.
Main disadvantage is simplicity... the old presets were easy to detect,
with the 100% button being large and visible. Here the 'dashboard'
approach (giving one total overview to quickly check all settings)
conflicts with control.

I'd prefer to hear some opinions from others on it. Users!?

> PART THREE:  A "PC2" BUTTON

That's fine.
Still, this preset business could be implemented so much better...  we
just can make it a render_presets ascii file, which reads from the
HOME/.blender/ directory. Syntax can be very simple.

-Ton-

http://www.blender.org