[Bf-committers] Re: Bake Buggy (plus fix/patch)

Jonathan Thambidurai bf-committers@blender.org
Fri, 20 Feb 2004 10:24:38 -0500

On Thu, 2004-02-19 at 12:58, Jonathan Thambidurai wrote:
> Baking an IK animation into Quaternion IPOs does not work consistently.
> Here are two examples of the buggy bake function:
>
> www.rpi.edu/~thambj/fingers.blend
> www.rpi.edu/~thambj/skeleton.blend
>
> To see the problem, load up the file, change to the action view and bake
> the action.  Observe that both the baked animation and the original
> IK-constraint animation are wrong.
>
> Attached is a patch to editaction.c that remedies this problem.  If you
> run (patched) Blender now and bake the aforementioned animations, you
> will see that the Quaternion-IPO's and original action are now correct.
>
> Sometimes, if you switch between playing the baked and non-baked
> animations, the original (non-baked) one becomes incorrect.  To fix
> this, change to pose-mode for the armature, select all bones, and clear
> their locations and rotations.  The animation should then be correct.
>
> As mentioned before, the patch is attached.  I have also posted it at
> www.rpi.edu/~thambj/bake-fix2.patch
>
> I would like this to be committed to the main tree, as there have been
> several posts at Elysiun.com about funky baked animations.  Please tell
> me what, if anything, must be changed for this to be committed.

Is there anyone with commit priveleges that would commit this?  Please
tell me if there is something wrong with this code.  The bake function
is definitely buggy (to the point of not being useful) and is fixed with
this patch.

--Jonathan Thamidurai