[Bf-committers] editmesh.c: New User Iterative Smoothing, New Mesh Wrinkle Specials Function

Robert Wenzlaff bf-committers@blender.org
Thu, 19 Feb 2004 09:27:50 -0500

At 01:01 AM 2/19/04 -0500, you wrote:
>Part One:  Improved Mesh Smoothing
>
>I have added a user adjustable menu to perform one or more smoothing
>passes on a mesh in edit mode.  This not only saves time from a user having
>to click Smooth multiple times to tame a mesh after a fractal subdivision
>(or the new wrinkle function I proprose below), it also saves undo levels
>by containing the iterations (ranging from 1 to 10) in one undo level -- that
>is, each smooth pass is not passed to undo, only the aftereffect of the
>smoothing pass(es).  The submenu appears after selecting Smooth from
>the Specials menu or by clicking the Smooth button in the edit window,
>at which point a user selects an Amount to smooth by.

I do agree that smoothing can be improved.

>Part Two:  New Wrinkle Function in Specials Menu
>
>You may have seen my "Crinkle" Python script posted at Elysiun and
>Blender.org.  That script was created to help users easily achieve irregular
>and complex shapes which have possibilities in organic modeling as well
>as for terrain/environment creation, among other things.  While presently
>in Blender a user can attain irregular shapes through Fractal Subdivision,

What you propose here is probably best impalement as a "Make Displacement
real" function.  That way the existing displacement code is re-used.  There
have been several other requests for this as well. When I get a break, I'll
look at it.  (Also working on adaptive subdivide for displace/radiosity.)

Bob