[Bf-committers] Soundsystem mess

Kester Maddock Christopher.Maddock.1 at uni.massey.ac.nz
Wed Dec 29 14:39:16 CET 2004

Hmm, the game engine calls SND_DeviceManager::Subscribe() &
SND_DeviceManager::Unsubscribe() when loading/unloading games, although that
should call the SND_SDLDevice constructor/destructor if nothing else is using
the sound device.

The other options is to add calls from StartKetsjiShell and GPG_Application.

Kester

On Thursday 30 December 2004 00:49, Alexander Ewering wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Dec 2004, Kester Maddock wrote:
> > Yep, that's what happens when you use well defined interfaces.
> >
> > It sounds like you are trying to modify an interface, which means you end
> > up changing everything that uses/implements that interface.
>
> Yeah... "well-defined interfaces"... is that something similar to
> "collateral damage"? :-)
>
> Now you as the knowledgable person... I have 2 functions in
> SDL_SDLDevice.cpp, and I need one to be called whenever the game engine is
> started, the other needs to be called when it is exited.
>
> I thought sound_init_audio (and the pigtail it calls) and sound_exit_audio
> do that, but I've been wrong...
>
> SND_SDLDevice::SND_SDLDevice()
> and
> SND_SDLDevice::~SND_SDLDevice()
>
> don't do this. They only get called on Blender start and exit, so I have a
> problem when someone restarts the gameengine several times in a blender
> session.
>
> I need to init some SDL stuff at the start and deinit at the end of a game
> engine run.
>
> | alexander ewering              instinctive mediaworks
> | ae[@]instinctive[.]de   http://www[.]instinctive[.]de

There is only one word for aid that is genuinely without strings,
and that word is blackmail.
		-- Colm Brogan